It is easy to see ants as nothing else other than a nuisance, but they are very interesting creatures. Ants have persevered for millions of years, and many species can carry up to 5,000 times their own body weight. Still, while there is no shortage of interesting ant facts, if they make their way into your home, all you are interested in is getting them out. A Longview ant control company can help you eliminate any ant problem, but there are also steps you can take to ensure you never have a problem in the first place.
Species of Ants in Longview
Most ant species in Longview are harmless, but they are still pervasive pests. To eliminate them, you must first identify the species. The types of ants most commonly found in Longview are as follows:
- Odorous ants: Odorous ants are aptly named, as they emit a smell some liken to rotten coconuts when they are crushed. Odorous ants are sometimes referred to as sugar ants because they are often found in kitchens.
- Carpenter ants: People sometimes mistake carpenter ants for termites because they seem to eat wood. Carpenter ants do not actually eat wood, but they do chew through it to build their nests.
- Pavement ants: Not surprisingly, pavement ants are typically found on asphalt, pavement, and exposed soil. Still, they will make their way into a home when they are looking for food.
- Velvety tree ants: Velvety tree ants get their name due to the fine hairs that cover them. They are typically found outside and will find a tree log or stump to nest in. Velvety tree ants can become quite aggressive when they are disturbed. Not only will they bite, but they will also inject venom into the wound, which is extremely painful.
- Pharaoh ants: The only ant to really pose a threat to human health in Longview is the pharaoh ant. While pharaoh ants do not bite, they carry and transmit serious diseases such as salmonella and streptococcus.