There are some common signs of mice in the home and the ones you see first will depend on where the mice are in the home, and the activity of both the humans and the rodents in the space. The most common signs of mice in the home include:
- Droppings, which are about 1/4 of an inch in length and look like grains of rice
- Footprints in dusty areas
- Grease along the bottom of walls, where mice like to travel most
- Scratching and scurrying noises in the walls
- Gnawed food packages or other items, such as wires
- Changes in a pet’s behavior, such as if they are suddenly pawing or sniffing along the wall, near the fridge, or in other areas when the pet has not acted that way previously
Of course, the first sign that you have mice in the home may also be when you actually see one. Unfortunately in these cases, it usually means an infestation has already developed.