They say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and that is certainly true when it comes to rodent infestations. There are many ways to prevent a rodent infestation and the best practices include:
- Seal up any holes present along the exterior of your home, paying particular attention to the vents, windows, and doors.
- Block outdoor access by trimming overhanging trees that bridge the gap for rodents from outdoor spaces into your home.
- Remove clutter, garbage, and debris from your home and keep bushes and plant shrubs at least three feet away from the home.
- Remove all food from and in and around the home. Clean up regularly after meals and keep garbage in cans with tight-fitting lids so rodents do not have easy access to any food source.
- Store food in airtight containers so it does not attract rodents.
- Repair any moisture sites, including clogged drains and leaking pipes.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house, as it can provide a nesting and hiding spot for rodents.