Of all the creatures in the world, ants are some of the most interesting. Still, if you have a colony invading your home, you likely do not find them as fascinating. Ants are not just a nuisance, but they can cause real damage to a house and other structures. For this reason, it is important to take the necessary steps to prevent them from entering your home in the first place. Even the best prevention methods though, sometimes fail. When that is the case, it is important to speak to a Newport ant control company that can help you eliminate the problem.
Interesting Facts About Ants
Each different type of ant has its own set of unique and interesting facts. These facts are too many to list, but some of the more general interesting facts are as follows:
- Ants are very strong! They can carry up to 50 times their own body weight.
- Soldier ants live up to their name. Using their heads, they block intruders and prevent them from entering their nest.
- Ants have a bigger muscle-to-body ratio than humans.
- Ants have been on the planet longer than humans. Although our ancestors were on Earth six million years ago, ants have been around for over 100 million years.
- All worker ants are female. Males are used for mating only and once they have, they die.
- Ants can come together and use their collective brains as one ‘super brain.’
- Queen ants can live up to thirty years, longer than any other insect!
- Once a queen dies inside a colony, the rest of the colony will also die.
- Ants do not have ears. Instead, they ‘hear’ through vibrations around them.
- For every human on the planet, there are one million ants.