Pests are not only annoying to have around the house, but they can also greatly interfere with a person’s allergies and irritate an asthma condition. This is why it is so important to eliminate a pest problem as soon as you notice it, so you can preserve your health, and your home. It is also why it is crucial to understand the pest prevention tips that will keep these critters out of your home so you do not have to deal with them or any associated health issues.
Pests that Cause Allergies and Asthma
Due to the fact that all pests come in from outside, they are extremely filthy and bring in many things that can worsen allergies and asthma. The pests most likely to cause health problems include:
- Cockroaches: These pests are disgusting and bring many different diseases and bacteria into the home. As they move through a home they leave behind their saliva, waste, and body parts that decompose and all of these substances contain allergens that greatly irritate a person’s allergies or asthma.
- Rodents: Mice and rats are the two most common rodents found in homes, but others can find their way in, as well. Squirrels may find their way into an attic and wreak havoc while there. As mice and rats make their way further into a house, they will destroy the home and anything within it. Food can also become contaminated with the diseases and bacteria they carry. Many people are allergic to household pets such as cats and dogs, and it is possible to be allergic to rodents, as well. The most common allergens associated with rodents come from their waste, hair, dander, and saliva.
- Dust mites: People cannot see dust mites, but they are everywhere. Dust mites feed on dead skin cells and so, they reside mostly in bedding and furniture. Dust mites do not bite, but they can cause a skin rash for those that are allergic to them. The waste and skin of dust mites can also cause an allergic reaction.
Although these are the most common pests that can cause allergies and asthma to become worse, any pest that makes their way into the home has the potential to bring in allergens with it.
How to Prevent Pests in the Home
Allergies and asthma are two conditions that have known triggers, and pests are among them. For this reason, it is important that anyone suffering from either condition knows how to keep pests, and the allergens they bring, out of the home. The best prevention techniques are as follows:
- Keep your home clean: Pests only come inside in search of food and so, it is crucial to keep the home clean. Clean up all crumbs immediately, and make sure the kitchen, in particular, is always neat and tidy.
- Vacuum carpets and furniture regularly: Regular vacuuming will mean there are fewer places for dust mites to live, and it will also eliminate any dust mites that are already there. Vacuuming will also get rid of crumbs and spills that could attract pests.
- Wash bedding and rugs regularly: Dust mites can also live in linens and rugs but fortunately, these are easy to throw into the washing machine and get rid of them.
- Do not leave food out: Food is probably the most attractive thing to pests and leaving it out will only bring more pests inside. Store food properly in an airtight container and clean up leftovers right away. Also do not leave pet food out, particularly outside where it will certainly attract pests.
- Dispose of garbage regularly: Garbage is just food to pests and so, it is important to regularly take out the trash and ensure it remains in a tightly sealed container. Also try to avoid leaving your garbage outside but rather, in a garage or shed.
- Eliminate water sources: Pests look for water just as much as they hunt for food and you may be providing it without even knowing it. In addition to getting rid of birdbaths and other sources of water, also check around faucets to ensure they are not leaking.
Call Our Pest Control Specialists Today
If you have a pest problem, it is important that you eliminate it as soon as possible to protect your health and to prevent damage to your home. At Pointe Pest Control, our pest control specialists know how to eliminate bugs and other critters so you can enjoy your home and your health once again. Call us today to receive a free quote and to learn more about how we can help.