Why is Missoula Ant Control
The job of the worker ants, the ones seen on countertops and throughout homes, is to find food and bring it back to the queen. When homeowners kill the ants seen in the house, it is only the worker ants they are killing. An ant colony can survive without those worker ants because the queen will simply produce more. However, ant colonies cannot survive without the queen. The queen is almost never seen, so it is extremely challenging to eliminate her and therefore, get rid of the entire colony.
Identifying the Type of Ant is Important for Ant Control in Missoula
There are literally hundreds of different types of ants throughout the country. To effectively eliminate the problem you are dealing with, you must first identify it and know what kinds of ants are invading your space. Fortunately, in Missoula, there are just a handful of different types of ants that make real pests of themselves. The most common of these are as follows:
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants are much larger than other types of ants. Many people think carpenter ants eat wood, but that is not true. Instead, they use wood to build colonies that can include thousands of ants. When these ants use the wood inside or outside of a home to create a colony, they become a real nuisance for the people that also live there.
- Formica ant: Many people think formica ants sting, but that is not true. However, these ants do have strong mouth parts they use to bite perceived threats. Formica ants got their name because they spray formic acid from their abdomens that can cause some degree of irritation.
- Red pavement ants: As their name suggests, red pavement ants are typically seen on asphalt, concrete, and sidewalks. Stepping on a red pavement ant can result in many ants crawling up the leg where they may bite. The bite is not venomous but does feel like a strong pinch.
- Western harvester ant: Western harvester ants build their underground colonies by removing vegetation that exposes their colony to full sun and effectively eliminates other insects that have made a home in the same area. These ants are usually seen at the opening of the colony and it is wise to give them a wide berth. Western harvester ants are aggressive defenders of their home and when they are disturbed they will bite and sting, which will leave a mark.
- Odorous ants: The odorous ants have earned their name because of the unpleasant odor they emit when they are crushed. Once they have made their way into a home, they will create nests in wall or floor voids. While odorous ants do bite, these bites are not very painful.
- Fire ants: Fire ants are typically found in dry and warm climates, which is why many people think they are a problem in southern states. Still, these ants that bite ferociously and leave welts and blisters behind have been making their way into Montana in recent years.
While it is important to properly identify the type of ant you are dealing with, they are all very difficult to get rid of. A professional ant control company in Missoula can help with your problem.