During the fall and winter months in Newport, rodents such as mice and rats make their way inside seeking shelter and food. While many people may first think of these rodents when considering the problems they cause, homeowners unfortunately must deal with more than just these species. Regardless of the type of rodent, a homeowner is dealing with, it is crucial that they work with a Newport rodent control company that can eliminate the problem quickly and effectively. Rodents can do great damage to a home and even pose health risks to the humans inside.
Common Rodents in Newport
Although mice and rats may first come to mind when you think of rodents, these are just two types of rodents common in Newport. The rodents most likely to cause issues in this area include:
- House mice: House mice are the main rodent pest around the globe, and they are found on every continent with the exception of Antarctica. House mice are smaller than other types of these rodents, such as deer mice, and have a pointed nose, short hair, and large ears.
- Norway rats: The most common type of rat is the Norway rat. They have large teeth that require them to constantly chew to file them down. Norway rats are quite large, have a long tail that is bi-colored, and have small eyes and tiny ears.
- Roof rats: As their name implies, these rats are most commonly heard on ceilings and roofs.
- Moles: Moles are furry creatures that have small beady eyes, a pointed nose, and large front paws that help them burrow through the ground.
- Voles: Voles are often confused for moles, and vice versa, even though the two look quite distinct from each other. Voles also burrow underground like moles, and they are often called field mice because they look so similar to a mouse.